Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Dark or Light Style

Powered by Blogger.

About me

Show Sidebar (Default N )

top navigation

Subscribe

Search This Blog

Home Style Widget

footer social

featured Slider

Pages

Popular Posts

Follow here!

Overcoming lonely: Scriptures to help you





For many people, this is the best time of year. It is full of time spent with family, friends, and significant others. Yet, for us single gals, this time of year can be somewhat… lonely. If I am not actively being aware of my thoughts, I can easily get sucked into the rabbit hole of sorrow and self- pity. I mean it’s cold outside and I have no one to cuddle with :( Not to fear Lunachicks! If you are a believer like me, there are a number of scriptures to help us through times like these. Below is a list of some that have helped me get through the loneliest of times. Guard them in your heart and carry them everywhere you go. I try to memorize one of my favorites every month. If your memory is a bit shabby like mine, you can carry a small journal with a list of the scriptures that get you out of the state of lonely. 


“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you. He will never leave nor forsake you.” – Deuteronomy 31:6

Yessssss! How awesome is it to know that even when we are feeling our lowest and our loneliest, we serve a God that has promised that he will NEVER leave us? That means we could be the most rotten apple and he would still never leave us. If you’re like me and you’re feeling lonely right now, you might be wondering where God is. I know, sometimes he gets quiet and it’s honestly annoying. BUT if we draw near to him, he will draw near to us. This scripture says to be strong and courageous- that is because the stuff that Christians face (like loneliness) is not easy to get through. It takes courage, but how good is it to know that God is right there with us?

“For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was pleased to make you his own” – 1 Samuel 12:22
So, it pleases God that we are his. We belong to him and that pleases him. If you are a Christian, trust that he will not reject you- that is what his word says- because you belong to him and this pleases him. If you are feeling down, go to him and trust that he will meet you in your need.

“…and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always. To the very end of age” – Matthew 28: 20

This is so powerful to me. This is the promise for the Lord to his children that surely, with no doubt about it, he is always with us. When we face challenges, when we have joy, when we fail, when we succeed, in our youth, and in our old age, HE. IS. WITH. US. Wow.  To the very end of age. Very often, we are failing to seek him. That doesn’t mean that he is not there. 

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” – Isaiah 41:10

I know that if you are a survivor of mental illness, fear can be a big part of your journey. The question of slipping back into your lowest point is always there. But God tells us not to fear. He says that he will strengthen and uphold us. He shows us over and over again in his word when he has upheld his people (Job, Daniel, and David for example), why do we find it so hard to trust that he will do the same for us?

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your cares upon him because he cares for you. “ – 1 Peter 5:6-7
 
What this says to me is that if I can humble myself during the challenging times, God promises that in due time, he will lift me. Everything that I desire is coming to me in due time. I believe the same for you. You might be lonely now, but if you humble yourself to endure this challenge, the person of your dreams is coming to you. This scripture also moves me because it says to cast ALL my cares on God because he cares for me. What an idea it is that the God over all of the universe cares for little ol’ me. AND not only that, but he is willing to endure the burden of ALL of my cares. 

“A man of many companions may come to ruin but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.” – Proverbs 18: 24

This scripture blesses me every time I contemplate it. Just think about it. This scripture is saying that not only is God our friend, but also that he is the type of friend that sticks closer to us than even our own family. He is the ultimate bestie. Often when I’m feeling lonely, I call my best friend. That I can call on my Jesus instead, because he truly is the best friend, is humbling. 

The final scripture that gets me through loneliness comes from Romans 8:28-39. I invite you to pull out your bible and read the whole scripture for yourself. I will summarize the parts that are on my heart to share here. In verse 35, the word asks the question: what shall separate us from Christ? It goes on to list many circumstances like: trouble, hardships, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger, and even sword. Then it answers the question for us: No, in ALL of this we are more than conquerors through Christ who loves us. Nothing in all creation can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. 

This is the ultimate scripture for loneliness to me. It says that NOTHING in ALL of creation could ever separate us from our Savior. Not even nakedness or any hardship, not danger or persecution. There is nothing that can separate us from Christ. This means that even if we are experiencing the feeling loneliness, we are not actually alone, nor will we ever be. Because God made this promise to us. 

Loneliness is difficult to get through, but we do not have to go through it alone. As children of God, we can always fall back on Him and His promises. Also, we have each other. The Lunachick community is here for you! Leave a comment below with your favorite scriptures for overcoming lonely times! 

Please subscribe, share, and join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lunachicks.org! I hope this helps.

As always with love,
Alli B
Sonny B
0 Comments
Share This Post :

You Might Also Like

Alli B is the voice behind lunachicks.org. She is a self-defined weird (queer) black woman who is a survivor of mental illness and childhood sexual trauma. She is a lover of people and a lover of God. Alli’s mission in life is to empower and inspire those who have gone through or who are going through any type of darkness. Her loves are her family, books, writing, movies, and football (Go Broncos!). The boring stuff: Alli received her Bachelor’s degree in Human Development and Family Studies at Colorado State University in 2013. She is now working on her Master’s degree in Transpersonal Counseling Psychology and is expected to graduate in May of 2018. Alli's goal is to work with underserved populations of women and children through private practice. Her life goals include: running a successful blog, publishing her books, and becoming a successful therapist.

Follow @SunriseSunsetBlog