Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Dark or Light Style

Powered by Blogger.

About me

Show Sidebar (Default N )

top navigation

Subscribe

Search This Blog

Home Style Widget

footer social

featured Slider

Pages

Popular Posts

Follow here!

The little things




Enjoy the little things.

Seems simple enough, right? Yet, I still find myself wrapped up in the complexities of life. What am I doing after I graduate? What do I truly value in this life? Where do I want to be in 5 years and what do I want my life to look like? All of these questions have been rattling my brain consistently for the last few weeks. 

Being in transition has been perplexing. I have been working through healing from a long time relationship for over a year. I have also been moving to a place of greater faith while overcoming my mental illness and also what some would consider an addiction. I am in a completely different place than I expected. Had you asked me a year ago if I would ever quit my weed and alcohol habit, I’d have laughed in your face- as I did the many professionals who warned me about the negative effects of such habits. Yet, here I am. A year and a half out of the relationship. On the other side of my faith, finally truly able to trust God again. And most importantly, I am on the other side of my drug and alcohol issues. Coming through this stage in my life, moving from one place to another in so many areas and not realizing until after all has been worked through has taken so much energy. I didn’t even realize that I was tired until I woke up today (literally and figuratively) fully energized. I am so happy. This coming from a girl who struggles with depression on a regular basis is a miracle on many levels. How did I get here? Keep reading and I’ll share more on that with you. 

It snowed today. I was in class when a saw the first thick flakes fall from the sky landing on the dome window in the ceiling of the room. I walked outside to find white fluff lining the outsides of the cars in the parking lot. I was overcome with joy. I love all of the seasons. I’m one of those people who believe that there is something to be enjoyed and appreciated in the weather that comes with each season. Yet, today when I saw the snow and felt the bite of cold against my face, I felt more joy than I have in so long. I knew that I needed to be in it. I went home, got my headphones, and headed out on a walk. The walk took me along a path that I’ve never been on. I couldn’t help but admire the beauty of the sky as the snow fell lightly. It felt like Christmas. I was excited just to be in it. I saw trees that were full of the white stuff. I was so caught up in watching the beauty of the season’s first snowfall that I actually got lost. I had to use my “maps” app to get back home. 

Why am I talking about the snow, is what you are probably asking. Well, I’m attempting to answer my question of how I got to this place of joy and happiness. And here it is. I have learned the value of enjoying the little things. Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that snow, alone, is going to completely lighten your depression or lesson your anxiety. I’m not saying that the little things are going to reverse the outcomes of that trauma that you went through. I have medication AND therapy that I have to be consistent with in order to be okay on a daily basis. What I am saying, though, is this: the more you enjoy those little things, the more little things you will have to enjoy. Those “little joys” add up to “big joys” pretty quickly. 

I do realize that coming out of such a period of transition also has something to do with my headspace. I feel more clear, more directed, more motivated. However, I am also certain that some of that feeling has come from learning to enjoy the things that I love, like taking a walk in the snow. I know because I felt cleansed afterward. Only pure joy can make you feel like that. So what I am saying is this: learn to take stock of the little things and don’t just enjoy them, revel in them, bask in them. I think that is what got me through the break up- I couldn’t really enjoy a lot of things right after, but what I did enjoy, for instance, was my music. So I listened every chance I got. I made playlists of my favorite songs and I sang out loud. I enjoyed myself in those small moments and  they added up and have amounted to this wonderful, joyous life that I love now. I hope you’ll try enjoying those small things and I hope this helps. 

Don’t forget to follow by clicking the “follow” button to the right of the screen! Also, join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lunachicks.org. Hope this helps.

As always with love,
Alli B
Sonny B
0 Comments
Share This Post :

You Might Also Like

Alli B is the voice behind lunachicks.org. She is a self-defined weird (queer) black woman who is a survivor of mental illness and childhood sexual trauma. She is a lover of people and a lover of God. Alli’s mission in life is to empower and inspire those who have gone through or who are going through any type of darkness. Her loves are her family, books, writing, movies, and football (Go Broncos!). The boring stuff: Alli received her Bachelor’s degree in Human Development and Family Studies at Colorado State University in 2013. She is now working on her Master’s degree in Transpersonal Counseling Psychology and is expected to graduate in May of 2018. Alli's goal is to work with underserved populations of women and children through private practice. Her life goals include: running a successful blog, publishing her books, and becoming a successful therapist.

Follow @SunriseSunsetBlog